Friday, September 9, 2011

Relax Your Face


    As I was sitting in a meeting earlier this week, I started to notice the tensions and stresses that people wear on their faces.  It looks like the stress has been there so long that permanent creases and wrinkles have developed in these areas.  This got me thinking about how when I meditate, my first physical response to the practice is a relaxed sensation in all the muscles of my face.  I started looking around and noticed people everywhere, even is supposedly relaxed situations, keep tension in their faces.  Some people do it so much they actually look a little ridiculous.  With these observations in hand, I decided to practice some awareness of my own facial tension and started to note the times in which my face was tense.  This always coincided with me being tense or anxious about whatever.  Most of the time I barely realized the intensity of the tension I was carrying until I really slowed down to look at it.  So I decided to turn the tables and actively relax my face when I notice this tension.  This had quite a profound affect on the rest of my senses and sensibilities as I would become quite relaxed all over.  You know how smiling can make you feel better by triggering certain physiological responses due to an association of good times?  I feel this is the same function but on a deeper level where your whole mind and body start to relax.  So try it next time you notice you are feeling a bit tense or anxious and see it helps.  Consciously relax the muscles in your face while watching your breathing and feel everything come back to normal.  Also, look around at everyone else you run into during the day.  All their pent up energy is quite obvious once you stop to notice it.  And is a constant source of inspiration to not do it yourself.
BH

No comments:

Post a Comment