Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Too Many Choices?

I find that I deal with choice anxiety everyday.  There are really too many options for everything.   What type of music do I want to listen too?  What do I want to watch on the TV?  With the Pandora’s and Netflix’s of the world, we can watch or listen to virtually anything and everything. 
    When I get in my car in the morning before driving to work, I pull out the IPhone and spend at least 5 minutes trying to determine what in all the worlds music am I in the mood to listen to?!  It’s a beautiful thing on one hand to have access to so much art but I’m aways concerned that I’m going to make the wrong call.  Halfway to work I’ll think to myself, no I wasn’t really in the mood for this.  Damn, wasted time.      We got rid of cable in my house in attempt to watch less TV.  Holy shit, have seen how much stuff is on Netflix?   It’s incredible. 
    This problem of too many choices even affects my photography post processing.  I can choose any styling for this great shot.  ANY!  Which one is best?  Fuck!  So many of them are great!
    I’ve been reading some articles and listening to TED talks about the subject and it is interesting that in many cases, people with few choices are just as happy or happier in life than people with all the choice in the world.  It all comes from within of course and we need to stop chasing the idealistic future of what is new unless it is truly revolutionary.  My new goal in life is just to be content, learn more about myself and truly know what I like without the influence of others and trying to live some lifestyle.  Everything is just fucking fine the way it is and the way you are.  You have a great life, enjoy what you like…blah blah blah.  And exhale….

See this blog entry from James Shelley which says much of this way more eloquently than I can.
http://www.jamesshelley.net/2011/08/choice-anxiety/

No comments:

Post a Comment